Thursday, October 22, 2009

i turn my camera on.



something to show for my hours upon hours in the darkroom (in order from oldest to newest):























so, i think i've explained that this is my first year doing photography in a darkroom--doing everything by hand.  i shoot a roll of film on my old pentax k1000, develop the negatives, and then print the photos onto 8x10 paper.  every photo you see here has gone through that process and is a scanned image of my 8x10 print.  some photos are by assignment, some were just printed for fun.  regardless, here's what i've been up to when i'm not crafting and blogging!  this stuff takes forevvverrrr (try 45 minutes to develop a roll of film, and then around 45 minutes to perfect each print!), but is so rewarding when you finish with a print that you like.


all of these photos are available to be viewed larger on my flickr!
who are some photographers whose work you love?
<3melisa

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh gosh, this so reminds me of loading film in a canister, carefully exposing the film right, developing the film (and freaking out about possibly messing up), making enlargments/prints, and scanning film and all that junk. I really miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so good! Love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I really like Marni Horwitz's photography. Here's the url:

    http://www.marnihorwitz.org/home

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are fantastic.
    the darkroom is such a magical place, i miss it.
    kxo

    ReplyDelete