Tuesday, September 22, 2009

where do you create?





a must in my "dream home" is a gorgeous, organized, inspiring home studio/library. maybe because i live in a studio apartment, but i always find myself daydreaming about a space dedicated solely to making things. i've found a few really charming examples to share:








i also stumbled upon this Flickr group, Pretty Organized, that allows Flickr users to upload pictures of their tidy craft/office space!


my boyfriend and i are currently in the process of rearranging/organizing our apartment.  one of the added perks is that we acquired a desk and can finally incorporate a work-area into our living/bedroom!  this is what it looks like now, with much more to be done:

some of my favorite elements so far: the string of lanterns that bryce's father bought for us, the mannequin i found in the alley by our apartment (i want to reupholster him!  i'm thinking paisley?), and the old singer sewing machine in the corner that bryce found.  we still have yet to find out if it works!


ideally we would have a larger space to work with, and if so, i would love to incorporate lots of shelving/cubbies, a vintage library card catalogue or a flat file, and a girl-mannequin to keep our no-name boy-mannequin company.  ooh, and lots of natural light!


what kinds of things would you have in your dream stuido?


can't wait to hear from you,
melisa

PS: i would love to have a higher quality picture of our space.  i'll be sure to set up a tripod in the future to share any additions.

6 comments:

  1. They all look so pretty! My studio/office space looks rether like the first one, but not quite as pretty - I would love to paint and hang up shelves but I don't think our landlord would be too pleased!

    I recently moved from having a big room to now having just a small area tacked onto my bedroom. I feel so much more organised though now and I actually feel like I have way more space!

    Thank you so much for the sweet comment and welcome to blogging to!! xx Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you mean! i would love to put up some wallpaper/shelves, but that's not likely with our landlord either.

    thank youuuuu for your comment! it's my first ever. :)
    melisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the clipboard organization in the last photo. And I love what you two are doing with the space you do have. Someday I hope I can have a nice place for creating. I'd like inspiring quotes and pictures covering the walls and for once in my life I'd like to keep my stuff neat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i live in a teeny tiny studio apartment with no real kitchen so i feel your pain. i can't wait until i have a bigger space to work my magic with. the photos of found were really cute! and your little space look mighty fine as well! two of my top sourses of inspiration are elsie and rachel, they're masters at home decor and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jess: i wish i could keep our apartment neat! bryce only works four days a week, so he's been a perfect little housewife lately. hahaha, ohhhh i love my boyfriend.

    and stina, elsie and rachel are great! i'm in their rva autumn class and i love it. everything they do is so stinking cute! by the way, how do you survive without a kitchen? our kitchen is small, but big enough that i can bake my stress away when need be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohmygoodness, I literally want to jump into my computer and live in all of those spaces!! Gorgeous!!! love love loving this post :)
    xoxo
    janel

    ReplyDelete