Wednesday, April 14, 2010

it sure has been a while, little blog.  and i have no excuse!  but if i did, it would sound something along the lines of "my-life-is-turned-on-its-head-and-i'm-under-more-stress-than-i-think-i've-ever-been!"...or something.  the truth is, i'm newly single for the first time in two and a half years and (as always) completely swamped with school work.  i'm doing my best to handle it all, but in the process i lose the motivation to do anything that isn't completely necessary (like writing this blog.)

that said, i've found the best remedy to all of this stress and hurt is productivity.  accomplishing even the smallest task that i've set out to do, using my time to its fullest potential—these are the things that take my mind off of everything and make me feel okay again.  so here i am, back to blogging regularly (i hope!).

if i had to describe my school experience this semester, i'd say it's been challenging but  really rewarding.  i'm learning A LOT of new things, exploring the freedom a lot of my classes offer to truly pursue what interested me in that subject to begin with (an example being that i got to write a research paper/critical biography of Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill for my Women in Art, Literature, and Music class.  there are some really great Riot Grrrl resources out there, email me if you're interested!).  my teachers have been supportive but still critical, which is exactly what i need—don't break me down too much but don't blow bubbles up my butt, either, you know?  anyways, as a result, i'm pushing myself to produce work that i'm really proud of, i'm exploring new ideas and mediums and enjoying the process along the way.  sometimes i wonder how i'll ever be really happy if i'm not being pushed to learn, which goes to say i'm really grateful to be in school (dorky, i know).

today, i just wanted to share what i've accomplished so far in my Printmaking class.  everything is new to me, and i understand my pieces to be rudimentary, but i'm still proud to be making progress.  that said, i'm really nervous putting my work out there.  constructive criticism is completely welcome, but if anything mean-for-mean's sake is said, it will be deleted.

this was my first print ever!  it's a linoleum block print, meaning that the image was carved out of a block of something similar to eraser, then coated with ink and run through a press.  the assignment was "text art", which i interpreted quite literally into a prompt.  setting goals and having an idea of what i'm doing with my life are two very important things to me, and i was hoping to invite others into my way of thought.  feel free to leave a response in the comments, i'd love to know some of your dreams!
for this assignment, we were presented with the idea that "how you draw is what you draw."  i took that notion and created a modern frame in an antique context: knitting is something that is still stereotyped as being for grannies (hellllooo, yrgranny!).  i tried to subvert this idea with a sassy phrase borrowed from Stitch 'N Bitch.  the image was etched into a copper plate, then run through a printing press.

this was my third and final print produced for my midterm.  the assignment was "pattern," which i applied pretty loosely to my concept of keys to hearts.  i wanted to create something that looked like a catalogue or a collection of keys from any time period next to the signature of the person to whose heart it belongs. as for the medium, this was done with pronto plate lithography, a process in which the image is printed onto a polyester plate that uses the separation of oil and water to determine which parts of the plate accept ink.  again, these prints were inked (very laboriously, i might add!) and run through a press.

each of the above prints were produced in editions of ten (meaning that there are ten copies of each print).  anyone interested in having a copy of whichever print for yourself, let me know!  it'd be really cool to trade, my work for yours...:)

i suppose that's all for now.  i'm creepily typing my entire life into a blog post in the school's computer lab, i should probably log off before anyone takes notice.
xoxo Melisa

5 comments:

  1. oh hi there! :) i'm sad to hear you're stressed out and all, i hope you feel better soon, dear! & i love the prints, well done! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what happened between you and Bryce, but I'm feeling you girl. Bryan and I broke up before New Years. It's really hard to heal from a long relationship. I'm still healing and I still see him almost every weekend. The best way is just to focus on yourself. If you ever want to talk, I'm here for you girl.

    Those prints are really gnarly and I'm jealous that you're in a printmaking class. That's something I'm really eager to learn more about. I think the "knit" print has to be my favourite. I'd love to have one, but I don't know what to trade with you. I could embroider something for you if you like.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to see you blogging again mel, and sorry i havent talked to you in like 2 weeks, my phone got shut off, unfortunately.

    anyways, about your post...
    my favorite in the general is the keys print.
    but i also real like the idea of before i die, i want to...
    i dont really know why but it seems exciting.

    haha.
    love youuu

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw, meowisa, i'm really sorry to hear about you and b. hurting hurts, but i honestly feel like that is when you create the best work. love everything, you're growing so much! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the support everyone. it's been really rough around here, but change is necessary and i know i'll heal with time.

    jenni—i'd totally be willing to trade for something embroidered! just email me or facebook message me with details, yeah!?

    ReplyDelete